Unfair treatment of Muslims after Easter attacks could raise sectarian tensions to dangerous levels, warns think-tank.
- Navigation menu.
- Peace is Loud: Women in Peacebuilding?
- 'Harsh, dangerous' actions against Muslims risk Sri Lanka peace?
- Japanese Consumer Dynamics.
- Horrible Stories My Dad Told Me.
- Knee-tremblers 5: What Katie Did.
A "harsh and dangerous" crackdown on Sri Lankan Muslims following deadly bombings on Easter Sunday poses a major threat to the Indian Ocean nation's peace and security, a think-tank has warned. But Sri Lankan police said members of an offshoot of a local Muslim group, National Thowheed Jamath , were responsible.
- Goal Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions – #TOGETHERBAND.
- Navigation menu.
- Brazil and the Consolidation of Peace!
- Creation of Wealth Vs Transfer of Wealth (CoW vs ToW): The Final Battle?
- Business Plan for Peace;
It was the deadliest single day of violence in the country, which is still recovering from a bloody civil war with ethnic Tamil separatists, and the first experience of Muslim-on-Christian mass violence, the report said. Since then, more than 1, Muslims were arrested under emergency laws and nearly remain in custody, it said. Muslims account for 10 percent of Sri Lanka's Sinhalese Buddhist-dominated population.
Families of those arrested told the ICG that many of those imprisoned had no connections to the attacks, but had been reported to the authorities out of fear and bigotry. One Muslim was killed in the riots and scores of Muslim homes and Muslim-owned businesses were destroyed.
The violence was not a spontaneous retaliation for the Easter attacks, the report said, but a continuation of a years-long anti-Muslim campaign.
The attacks followed the same script as previous anti-Muslim riots, such as those in central Kandy last year, with Sinhalese nationalist groups bussing in supporters and security forces "failing to maintain order and in some cases appearing to assist rioters", it added. Sinhalese nationalist politicians and commentators also seized the moment to "inject new energy into long-standing efforts to undermine the status and prosperity of the Muslim community".
- THE NEW ALBUM OUT NOW.
- Peace of Stage - Own a Piece of the Woodstock Stage – Peace Of Stage LLC;
- Business Over Turkish Coffee: Tips For Doing Business in Turkey.
- Some Remarks on Selective Migration (Research Group for European Migration Problems).
- A Fine Dark Line!
- Join the movement.
- How To Teach Children To Read;
Brexit opens up many geopolitical questions. It is long past time to accept the risks and difficult compromises of a negotiated settlement.
You are leaving the website for the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy and entering a website for another of Carnegie's global centers. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Sign up for Carnegie Email. Experts Publications Events. Experts Publications.go to link
Experten Publikationen. Latest Analysis Publications Popular Projects. Programs Projects.
Regions and Countries Issues.